This vegan alfredo sauce has it all, except the loads of calories. Creaminess? Check. Cheesiness? Check. How, exactly? A blend of soaked cashews and cooked cauliflower make up the creamy base, garlic and shallots add loads of aromatic flavor and nutritional yeast flakes give the illusion of cheese. So, basically, it’s magic.
1. Boil cauliflower florets in a medium pot filled with water until fork-tender (about 10 minutes).
2. Using a slotted spoon, remove the boiled cauliflower and set aside. Pour out the water and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Sauté the sliced shallots and minced garlic until soft and fragrant.
4. Add the sautéed shallots and garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Add the soaked cashews, steamed cauliflower, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and water. Process until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust as needed.
5. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
6. When the pasta is ready, toss in the cauliflower-cashew alfredo sauce, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve!