Sumac and za’atar give this beautiful, layered dish a tangy flavor. Crispy chickpeas add the perfect crunch to this textured meal.
1. To prepare the chickpeas: Soak the chickpeas for 24 hours and drain them before adding them to a medium pot with plenty of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the chickpeas are tender (about 30-35 mins). Drain any excess water and let cool until safe to handle.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Pat the chickpeas dry and spread them evenly on half of the baking sheet. Add the carrots on the other half. Toss everything with the olive oil, salt and za’atar.
4. Bake for 40-45 mins, until the chickpeas are crispy and the carrots are browned.
5. Meanwhile, in a large pan, sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Then, add the spinach and stir on medium-low heat until it is cooked down. Season with salt and set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt with the minced garlic. Add the sumac and salt, to taste.
7. When the chickpeas and carrots are ready, remove from the oven and let them cool a little.
8. Assemble the dish: Spread the sumac yogurt on a plate, then layer on the cooked spinach. Top with the chickpeas and carrots, then garnish with lemon zest.