The secret to perfectly puffy pita bread ? A HOT oven. Impress your family and friends by baking up these Middle Eastern essentials and serving them up with your favorite dishes.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, bread flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add the olive oil and begin to knead, slowly adding the warm water as you go. Knead for about 15 minutes.
2. Coat the dough with a little olive oil and grease the inside of the bowl as well. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise for an hour.
3. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll them out into circles (about ¼ inch thick). Place each one on its own paper towel and cover each with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out. Do not stack them. Let them rest for another 30 minutes.
4. When the 30 minutes are almost up, preheat the oven to 550F and place your baking sheets inside to heat up.
5. When the time is up, remove the hot baking sheets from the oven (using oven mitts!) and, taking the pitas one paper towel at a time, flip them onto the baking sheets (so that the side that was facing up is now facing down).
6. Bake for 3-4 minutes until the pitas have puffed up and the bottoms are browned. Remove the baked pitas and repeat with remaining dough, if necessary.