Who needs meat when you’ve got TVP? These vegan burritos are hearty, flavorful and easy to whip up for a weekday meal.
1. In a medium bowl, add the TVP and the water. Let it hydrate for 15 minutes.
2. To make the beans: In a large pan, sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant. Add the chili powder, cumin and the beans. Pour in the water, stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
3. When the time is up, remove the pan from the heat and add the salt. Use a potato masher to mash the beans to your desired consistency. Set aside.
4. To make the TVP filling: In another large pan, sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Then, drain any excess water from the TVP and add it to the pan along with the cherry tomatoes, smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, chili pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and tomato sauce. Stir and let simmer for 15 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Assemble your burrito by layering the beans, TVP and guacamole and wrapping it up. Enjoy!