A classic comfort food gets a makeover. This vegan reimagining of shepherd’s pie is as hearty as you’d expect from the original and lives up to the dish’s sticks-to-your-ribs reputation. TVP stands in for ground beef and adds the perfect texture to complement a creamy layer of mashed potatoes. It’s perfect for a cozy winter meal—no shepherd will deny.
1. Slice the potatoes into chunks and add them to a large pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender (about 20 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, hydrate the textured vegetable protein (TVP) by adding it to a bowl with warm water. Stir and set aside.
3. In a large pan, sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil. When cooked through, add the herbs, salt, pepper, carrot, celery, peas, TVP, tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. Stir and cook on medium-low heat until the vegetables have softened and the liquid is reduced.
4. When the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the pot and let cool. Once cool, peel them and mash with a potato masher. Add ¼ cup almond milk and ½ tbsp olive oil and mix until creamy. If needed, add splashes of almond milk until the potatoes are smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F and pour the TVP-vegetable mixture into an 8x8 baking dish. Smooth the top and layer the mashed potatoes over it. Bake for 30 minutes.