This vegan red lentil kofte is a popular dish in several Middle Eastern cultures. The hand-shaped morsels pair perfectly with a tomato-sumac salad for a light and refreshing meal.
1. Chop and combine all of the salad ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In a large pot, add the split red lentil and the water. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the lentils are soft. Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the salt and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the onions until translucent. Stir the bulgur wheat into the lentils and then add the onions. Stir everything together, cover the pot and let the mixture rest for 20 mins, until the bulgur softens.
4. Add the cumin, paprika and ground black pepper to the pot and stir. Once it has cooked, shape the kofte in the palm of your hand, one handful at a time and set in a platter. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and parsley.
5. Serve alongside the tomato-sumac salad for a refreshing meal.