If you haven’t experienced the wonder of spaghetti squash, this recipe is a great introduction. Roast up the squash, scrape out the “noodles” and toss with a hearty bean-based sauce for a mouth-watering vegan meal.
1. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
2. Preheat the oven to 425F.
3. Brush the cut side of the squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place the halves face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Roast for 40-45 minutes, until the cut side of the squash is golden brown and fork tender.
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a large pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and the chopped onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, then add the minced garlic and cook for another minute before adding the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, dried oregano, nutritional yeast, and beans. Let everything simmer for 15 minutes, then use a large fork or potato masher to roughly mash the beans.
6. Stir in the artichoke hearts, olives and the spinach. Continue to simmer until the spinach has cooked down. (If needed, add a splash of vegetable broth to keep the mixture from drying up.)
7. Stir in the fresh basil and remove from the heat.
8. Once the spaghetti squash is roasted, let it cool a little, then use a fork to scrape out the flesh. Divide the sauce between the squash halves and mix it into the scraped out “noodles.”
9. Sprinkle with more nutritional yeast and serve.