Here’s an easy lunch idea: toast slathered with hummus and piled high with a mix of Mediterranean favorites. Artichokes, olives, chickpeas and sun-dried tomatoes? Yes, please.
1. Add the dried chickpeas to a large bowl and cover them with plenty of water. Let them soak for 24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Add them to a large pot, cover them with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the chickpeas are tender (around 30 mins). About 20 minutes in, add 2 tsp salt.
3. When the chickpeas are cooked, remove them from the heat and drain the excess water. Set them aside.
4. In a medium bowl, add the artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Add one cup of the cooked chickpeas. (Save the rest for other recipes.)
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dried basil and some salt, to taste.
6. Toss the salad with the dressing.
7. Toast your bread and slather on some hummus. Top generously with the artichoke and chickpea salad.