Like your desserts sunny side up? These tart, lemon curd-filled meringues are perfect for Easter or any springtime occasion.
1. Separate your egg whites and leave them in a bowl on the counter for 30 minutes to reach room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, begin beating the eggs whites and a pinch of salt. Once frothy, add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
3. One tablespoon at a time, add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. At this stage, beat in the vanilla extract.
4. Preheat the oven to 225F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
5. Fill the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Working from the center and circling outwards, pipe a 2-inch circle onto the baking sheet. Then pipe around the edges of the circle to form sides.
6. Bake the meringues for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and *do not open the door* or they will crack and collapse. Let the meringues cool in the oven with the door closed for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
7. When the time is up, fill the center of each meringue with lemon curd.