Who doesn’t love a nutty, chocolatey spread to sweeten up the day? This healthy(er) chocolate hazelnut spread is a delicious mix of freshly toasted hazelnuts, cocoa powder, sweetener and coconut oil. Hooray for all the goodness and none of the preservatives of the store-bought stuff.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the hazelnuts on the sheet and toast for 10-15 minutes. (Watch for burning starting at the 10 minute mark.)
2. When the hazelnuts are toasted, remove them from the oven and let them cool until they’re safe to touch. Use a paper towel to rub off the skins as much as possible. (You can leave them on but the end result will taste more bitter and will be less smooth.)
3. Pour the hazelnuts into the bowl of a food processor and process until you achieve a grainy texture. Scrape down the bowl and keep going until you get a nut butter consistency. If you haven’t made enough progress within 5 minutes, add 1 tbsp melted coconut oil to aid the process.
4. Add the rest of the coconut oil, the powdered sugar, the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt and melted chocolate chips. Process until smooth.
5. Enjoy in crepes, on toast or with slices of fruit.