Citrus and vanilla melt together in this stunning upside-down citrus cake. With a surface that tastes like candied orange and looks like stained glass, this dessert is a show-stopping masterpiece for your eyes and taste buds alike.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Combine the glaze ingredients and heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Mix until the sugar is dissolved and a syrup is formed.
3. Brush a 9-inch cake pan with melted coconut oil, then brush the bottom with half of the glaze.
4. Slice the oranges into rounds and carefully cut the peels off in a circular pattern.
5. Line the bottom of the pan with the oranges and brush the tops with the other half of the glaze.
6. Melt the coconut oil and add it to a large bowl. Add the sugars and mix to combine. Then, add the eggs, orange juice, orange zest, applesauce and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
8. Pour the batter into the cake pan and use a wet spoon to spread it to the edges and smooth the top.
9. Bake for 35 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from the pan.