Got a little time on your hands? This from-scratch hummus recipe is a labor of love that yields the fluffiest, creamiest hummus you’ve ever had.
1. Add the dried chickpeas to a large bowl and cover them with plenty of water. Let them soak for 24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Add them to a large pot with the garlic cloves and baking soda. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the chickpeas are tender (around 30-35 mins).
3. Drain and rinse the chickpeas again. Pick out the garlic cloves and place them in the bowl of a food processor.
4. For super smooth and fluffy hummus, peel the chickpeas. This shouldn’t be too difficult, as the baking powder loosens the skins. (You can skip this step if you don’t mind chunky hummus but it’s worth the extra effort for exceptional texture.)
5. Place the chickpeas, cumin and ground coriander in the food processor and process until fluffy and smooth. Dissolve the salt in the lemon juice and pour it in slowly, while continuing to process the chickpeas.
6. Add the tahini to the bowl of the processor and blend again. While running the processor, slowly pour in the cold water.
7. Enjoy as a snack or appetizer.