Simple, yet delicious. Charred broccoli, fried garlic and creamy hummus make for irresistible companions to chewy farro in this hearty recipe.
1. Add the farro and water to a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed and the farro is chewy (about 20 mins). Season with salt, to taste.
2. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a pan and heat it to medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the garlic and cook until golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the broccoli florets to the pan and toss them around in the oil. Cook for a few minutes, then pour in the water. Cover the pan with the lid and let the broccoli steam for 4-5 minutes.
4. When the water has evaporated, uncover the pan and add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Toss the broccoli a few times and cook until charred. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
5. When the farro and broccoli are ready, add them to a bowl. Top with a dollop of hummus and some of the fried garlic, and serve.