This brown rice sushi is filled with deliciously seasoned tofu and loads of colorful veggies. Give sushi rolling a try and make it yourself for a fun weekend meal.
1. Cook the brown rice according to package instructions, then place it in a large bowl in the fridge to cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup, cornstarch, water, ginger and garlic to make a sauce. Set aside.
3. Then, press your tofu for 20-30 minutes, until the excess water is drained.
4. Prepare your vegetables by slicing them thinly and setting them within reach.
5. Cut the tofu into thin slices and heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, cook the tofu until golden on all sides. Pour in the sauce and cook for a few more minutes, until the sauce has thickened and reduced. Remove the tofu from the heat and set aside to cool.
6. Remove the cooled rice from the fridge. In a small bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar and salt until dissolved. Pour this mixture into the rice and mix to combine.
7. Assembly time! Set a nori sheet on a sushi rolling mat and spread some rice on top, pressing it flat. Top with the sliced vegetables and tofu and sprinkle them with black and white sesame seeds. Roll the sushi tightly and slice into rounds.
8. Repeat the process until you run out of rice.
9. Serve with soy sauce, ginger pickles and wasabi.