‘Tis the season of fresh strawberries and what better way to use them than a gorgeous upside-down cake? This one’s gluten-free, lightly sweetened and pretty as a bright spring day.
1. To start, reconstitute the coconut milk by mixing the coconut milk powder with water. Whisk until the powder is fully dissolved and no lumps remain. This coconut milk will be used in both layers of the cake.
2. Make the strawberry layer by mixing 2 tbsp of the coconut milk, coconut sugar, tapioca starch and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Stir in the strawberries and mix gently until they are well-coated.
3. Prep the cake layer by whisking together the oat flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together the 1 ⅓ cup coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mix well to combine.
4. Preheat the oven to 350F.
5. Brush a 9 inch cake pan with melted coconut oil, then pour in the strawberry mixture. Spread it evenly across the bottom of the cake pan. Then, pour in the cake mixture and smooth the top with a wooden spoon.
6. Bake for 32-35 minutes.
7. Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the pan. Top with shredded coconut and fresh sliced strawberries, if desired.