This chewy clementine cake is a fragrant, floral and citrusy dream, balanced with the slight bitterness and crunch of unhulled sesame seeds.
1. Grease a 9-inch easy release cake pan with melted coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Add peeled and segmented clementines to a blender and blend until as smooth as possible. Measure out 1 ⅓ cup and pour it into a large bowl.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and melted coconut oil and whisk until smooth.
4. Then, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the surface generously with sesame seeds. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the edges are golden-brown.
6. While the cake bakes, make the syrup by adding the sugar and water into a mini saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then add the orange blossom water, stir and remove from the heat. Set aside.
7. When the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and brush it with half of the syrup while it cools for 5-10 minutes. Then, carefully remove it from the cake pan.
8. Taste and add more syrup, if desired.