These double chocolate bites of joy are baked, not fried, like traditional donuts. Drizzle them with almond butter for a sweet and somewhat salty treat.
1. Prep the sweet potatoes by peeling them and cutting into chunks. Place them in a pot with a few inches of water and boil until soft and easily mashable. This should take 30-35 mins.
2. When the sweet potatoes are ready, allow them to cool, then (in a large bowl) mash them with a fork. Add the almond butter, eggs and maple syrup. Use a hand mixer to beat until smooth.
3. Add the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda and pinch of salt. Mix to combine. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two donut pans with coconut oil.
5. Fill the donut molds completely with the batter.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool in the pan before unmolding.
7. Drizzle with more almond butter, shredded coconut and shaved dark chocolate to garnish.