These vegan lentil patties are made with vegetables and oats, baked to rosy perfection and drizzled with a delicious tahini dill sauce. Enjoy them in burger form, in a pita wrap or as a salad-topper.
1. In a medium pan, heat 1 tbsp olive and add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent, then add the chopped carrots and a splash of water. Cook until the carrots are fork-tender.
2. Meanwhile, add the split red lentils and 2 cups of water to a small pot. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Add the cooked vegetables and red lentils to the bowl of a food processor. Add ½ cup of the rolled oats, lime juice, salt, pepper and spices. Pulse until the ingredients are evenly distributed and a chunky mixture has formed.
5. Pour the mixture out into a large bowl and mix in the remaining ½ cup oats and the chopped spinach and parsley. You can stop for a taste-test here. Try a bite and adjust the salt and spices to your liking.
6. Using a ⅓ measuring cup, scoop up the mixture and shape it into patties. Place them on the baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes, gently flipping them over after 15 minutes.
7. While the patties bake, make the tahini dill sauce by combining the tahini and water. Whisk continuously until the tahini is thinned out and the mixture is smooth. Add the lime juice, garlic, chopped dill and salt. Whisk again to combine.
8. When the patties are ready, remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet. They will harden and become easier to handle as they cool.
9. Serve in burger form, in a pita or over a salad, drizzled with the tahini-dill sauce.