Chana masala meets shakshuka in this spicy, layered dish. Home-cooked chickpeas add extra flavor to this delicious meal.
1. Soak the chickpeas for 24 hours and drain them before adding them to a medium pot with plenty of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the chickpeas are tender (about 30-35 mins). Season with salt, to taste, at the end.
2. In a large pan, sauté the onion, jalapeño and garlic in the olive oil. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the salt and spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala) and stir for another minute.
3. Add the tomato paste and canned tomatoes and stir to break them up, then add the chickpeas and stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Make little pockets in the chana masala and drop in 3-5 eggs. Cover with the lid and cook until the egg whites are opaque.
5. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with rice.