This easy vegan soup is a tomato lover’s dream: it’s made without cream to avoid heaviness or distract from the tomato’s natural goodness. Nutritional yeast lends a slight “cheesiness” and toasted pumpkin seeds bring a protein boost and irresistible crunch.
1. In a large pot, add the onions, minced garlic and olive oil. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
2. Pour in the canned tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, water and tomato paste. Add the nutritional yeast, dried oregano, basil and salt. Stir well to combine.
3. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds in a medium pan on low heat until fragrant. Stir them often to prevent burning. They will begin to make a popping noise when they are toasted.
5. Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend the soup until smooth.
6. Pour into bowls, sprinkle with more nutritional yeast and top with the toasted pumpkin seeds.