These rose-scented sweets are coated with pistachio and flavored with pomegranate juice. Thickened with cornstarch to give it its gelatinous texture, this Turkish delight recipe is delicious and vegan-friendly.
1. Grease an 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray and place a square of parchment paper at the bottom. Set it aside while you make a syrup.
2. In a medium pot, add the sugar, 1 ½ cups water, 2 tsp lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and place a candy thermometer inside. Let the syrup cook until it reaches 240F. Meanwhile, whisk together the pomegranate juice, cornstarch, rose water, remaining 1 cup water and the remaining 1 tsp lemon juice in a large pot. Whisk on low heat until the mixture thickens.
3. Once the cornstarch mixture has thickened and the syrup has reached 240F, pour the syrup into the cornstarch mixture little by little, whisking until combined after each pour. This will ensure that the mixture is smooth and not lumpy. Once combined, continue to cook on low heat for another 45 minutes. Make sure to stir often.
4. Fold in the ⅓ cup chopped pistachios and pour into the prepared pan. Let cool on the counter for 1 hour, then place in the fridge to set for at least 5 hours.
5. When the time is up, turn the Turkish delight out onto a cutting board and cut into rectangles or squares. Coat each one with crushed pistachios.
6. Serve! Keep leftovers in the fridge.