Linzer cookies are soft cookie sandwiches with gem-like jelly fillings, traditionally baked up and eaten around Christmas. This keto and vegan version is made with almond flour and filled with tart raspberry jam. Lightly sweetened with maple syrup and a dusting of confectioner’s xylitol, these little beauties are a treat you can feel good about.
1. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, maple syrup, almond extract, vanilla extract and salt.
2. Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in cling wrap. Freeze for one hour.
3. When the hour is up, preheat the oven to 250F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Roll the dough out (¼ inch thick) between two sheets of parchment paper. Dust with a little almond flour if the dough is too sticky to cut. (Don’t roll the dough out too thin or it’ll be impossible to shape.)
5. Using a cookie cutter, cut out hearts or other desired shape. Using a smaller cutter, cut out little windows in half of the cookies. These will be the tops of the cookie sandwiches.
6. Bake the cookies for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
7. Once cooled, dust the tops (the cookies with the cutouts) with the confectioner's xylitol.
8. Assembly time! Place a small amount of raspberry jam in the center of the bottom cookies and pair them with the dusted tops