These honey whole wheat pretzels are slightly sweet, slightly salty and super delicious, especially when paired with our chickpea-based honey mustard sauce.
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, coconut oil, warm water, salt and instant yeast. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, until it is smooth and peels away easily from the sides of the bowl. Remove the dough and oil the inside of the bowl with coconut oil. Place the dough back inside the bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rest for about an hour, until it has doubled in size.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 450F.
3. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll them out into ropes. Twist the ropes into pretzel shapes and place them on the baking sheet.
4. Bring a large pot, filled with 10 cups of water and the baking soda, to a boil. Place the pretzels into the bath for 30 seconds at a time. Then, place them back onto the baking sheets, 3-4 inches apart. Brush them with the beaten egg yolk and sprinkle each one with coarse salt.
5. Bake for 12-14 mins until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce. Place all of the sauce ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
7. Serve together for max deliciousness!