This Balinese treat is made up of banana battered in a sweet rice flour mixture and coated with shredded coconut. The mochi-like exterior may just be your favorite part.
Note: You will need a bamboo steamer to make this dessert.
1. To prepare the steamer, line each level with parchment paper and place it in a large skillet or wok (large enough that the sides of the steamer do not touch the skillet). Set aside.
2. Peel the bananas and set aside.
3. Make the batter by whisking the sweet rice flour, cornstarch, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the hot water and whisk continuously until smooth. If needed, add a few more splashes of water until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
4. Using a small rubber spatula, coat the bananas with the batter. Place them on the parchment lined bamboo steamer.
5. Add hot water to the skillet (just enough that the bottom of the steamer is submerged in about ½ inch water). Turn the heat to medium high and steam for 10-15 minutes, until the bananas are cooked through. Keep an eye on the skillet and add more hot water during the steaming process, if needed.
6. Remove the bananas from the steamer and sprinkle them generously with the shredded coconut while they are still warm. Slice and serve!