Here’s a holiday dessert that will surely impress with its crumbly, gluten-free crust and thick almond cream filling topped with thinly sliced, maple-glazed apples. We recommend busting out the kitchen scale for best results and serving slices warm for max deliciousness.
1. Prepare the crust: In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, buckwheat flour and salt. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup and water and mix to combine.
2. Grease a 12-inch tart pan and preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Press the mixture into the tart pan and press up the sides. Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until it has begun to firm up and turn golden-brown. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
5. Core and cut the apples into thin slices and set aside.
6. Prepare the almond paste: Mix the almond meal, powdered sugar, egg white, almond extract and salt together in a medium bowl. Spread the paste evenly into the tart crust and decorate with the apple slices.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and brush with maple syrup.
8. Bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the crust is browned and the apples are tender. Brush again with maple syrup and allow to cool before removing from the tart pan.
9. After demolding, warm in the oven or microwave before serving for best texture and flavor.
Serves: 8 people